Author Topic: TOC entries to Cross References  (Read 2944 times)

UliB

TOC entries to Cross References
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
From time to time I have to create rather extensive text- and scientific books, about and even more than 1000 pages big. The TOCs tend to become rather long as well, and I usually have to edit them manually – change line breaks, assign different styles … This can take some time. When the book is finished, I have ID recreate the TOC in order not to miss a page change, finding myself reformatting the TOC again which adds quite a lot of extra time, especially when redoing it more than once because of last minute changes.
I’d really like to have a tool that converts every page number on a TOC into a cross reference so as long as no chapters are added or deleted the layout will stay in shape but updates the page numbers automatically. Wouldn’t this be a task for a future version of Cross References? Or does such a tool already exist?

Thx
Uli

P. S.: Your verification image gave me a hard time, even with listening to the letters.

Jan

• Administrator
Re: TOC entries to Cross References
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Hi Uli,

first of all, I apologize for the tedious Captcha we have to have here. With all the precautions we still had hundreds of spam posts a day without it. You can also contact us via our Facebook page and mail.

As to your question - we do have a script for converting ID made TOC into cross-references, that should do exactly what you need. We had some issues reported with the script when used in some ID version and app language combination, so we took it out from the installer.

I'll upload the scripts to our website so you can install them and test. Just let me know which ID version and platform version you need to use.

Thanks,

Jan

UliB

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Hi Jan,

thanks a lot for your reply. That’s excellent news! I’d surely like to give the tool a try. Currently I’m getting accustomed to ID CS 6, but due to customer compatibility my main work will stay (for some time, at least) on CS 5.5. Both on Mac OS. I guess you’re interested in feedback about its stability?

Thanks again
Uli

Jan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
Hi Uli,

The scripts for CS5 are here: www.dtptools.com/cross-references/scripts/CR-PRO_Scripts_CS5.zip

to install, unzip the folder in InDesign/Scripts folder. There are multiple different tools for CR plug-in automation, all will be listed in the Cross-References PRO panel menu > Scripts.

Let me know if there are any issues (the problem would be an error message upon InDesign start saying "Unsupported script language")

Thanks,

Jan